Charles Kushner, father of Trump son-in-law Jared Kushner, was convicted in 2005 for illegal campaign contributions, tax evasion, and witness tampering, unrelated to Donald Trump.
Charles Kushner is an American real estate developer and entrepreneur who gained public attention for his association with former President Donald Trump, particularly through his son-in-law Jared Kushner, who is married to Ivanka Trump. Born on May 16, 1954, in Elizabeth, New Jersey, Charles Kushner has been involved in various business ventures and faced legal issues in the past.
Real Estate Career:
- Charles Kushner is the founder of Kushner Companies, a real estate development and investment firm.
- The company has been involved in the acquisition, development, and management of commercial and residential properties.
- In 2005, Charles Kushner faced legal troubles that resulted in a conviction on charges of tax evasion, witness tampering, and making illegal campaign donations.
- The charges included allegations that Kushner had hired a prostitute to seduce his brother-in-law, recorded the encounter, and sent the tape to his sister in an attempt to silence him as a witness in a federal investigation.
Imprisonment and Release:
- Kushner pleaded guilty to the charges and, in 2005, was sentenced to two years in federal prison.
- He served time at a federal prison in Alabama and was released in 2006 after serving approximately 14 months.
Relationship with Trump:
- Charles Kushner’s son, Jared Kushner, became a key figure in Donald Trump’s inner circle, particularly during Trump’s presidential campaign and subsequent administration.
- Ivanka Trump, Donald Trump’s daughter, married Jared Kushner in 2009, creating a family connection between the Kushners and the Trumps.
- After his release from prison, Charles Kushner returned to his role in Kushner Companies.
- The family continued to be involved in real estate development, and Jared Kushner became a senior advisor to President Trump.
Charles Kushner’s legal troubles were separate from his son’s activities in the Trump administration. While Charles faced legal challenges in the mid-2000s, Jared Kushner assumed a significant role in Trump’s political endeavors in the subsequent years.